The dents can be small and not very apparent from an errant Frisbee or baseball or large from accidentally backing into the door making a very unattractive dent. If the dent is of manageable size, there is a way to fix it with minimal time and cost.
What You Need
Most of the items needed are found in your own basement or garage. The remaining can be purchased at your local hardware store for minimal cost.
- Medium size bucket
- Dish soap (brand is irrelevant)
- Large sponge, similar to one used for washing a car
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Lighter, such a BIC lighter for candles or grill
- Can of compressed air used for cleaning keyboards
Be sure you have all the items assembled and within your reach before beginning the project.
Fixing the Dent
- Fill the bucket with warm water from the hose and add the dish soap. You want the water sudsy. Taking the sponge, wash the dented area completely. All dirt and grime must be removed for this procedure to work. The area must be clean and dry before moving on to the next step.
- Measure enough foil to cover the area of the dent, plus enough to extend past the dent on both sides. It’s helpful to unroll it and measure before cutting it from the role. You will need to be sure you have enough extra to hold onto it. Cut it from the roll and keep the piece within reach.
- Put both the lighter and air can within reach as well. Lay the foil flush against the dent so it is completely covered. Use one hand to hold the foil in place to keep it in place.
- Taking the lighter, move it over the area of the dent making sure you cover the entire area with the flame with a consistent motion for one minute. It is vital that the entire area is heated.
- Remove the foil from the area. Take the air can and hold it upside down. Spray the dent with the can upside down for 30 seconds. The can must be upside down! The position of the can causes carbon dioxide to be released. This is the catalyst for removing the dent.
The dent will go back into place because of the temperature extremes between the heat of the lighter and the cold from the carbon dioxide. The dent should completely disappear within two minutes.
A larger dent may take more than one treatment. If the dent does not disappear, consider calling a professional garage door repair company.