The leaves are turning from green to bronze, there’s a cool snap in the air, and Halloween is just days away. This year, take the brooms out of your garage and twist up some twine for a Halloween garage extravaganza the kids and the adults will not forget!
- Black Alley. Craft a black alley from a 20ft x100ft roll of black plastic sheeting. Hang it over the garage door rails, and then go wild: cobwebs, branches, brooms, flameless candles, hay bails and twine, headstones, jack ‘o’ lanterns, lights, hanging ornaments, talking heads, red and orange garland, rubber bats ‘n’ spiders, and more. Lead the trick-or-treaters down the alley to get their treats.
- Go Batty With Batting. Craft batting can go a long way in creating a full-scale spider web. Stretch gobs of batting inside the garage or over the garage door in every direction and use thread or string to hang scary plastic bugs, spiders, and snakes from every web.
- Light the Way. This year, it seems that everything lights up! Look for branch and twig lights, pumpkin or skull string lights, faux self-lighting jack-o-lanterns, decorative flameless luminaries, and orange LED rope lights. You can create ambiance with lights, for your indoor garage party or chili feed.
- Barn Dance. Get out the twine, the rake, and the shovels. For an effective garage transformation, take a trip to the country and come back with two or three bales of hay. Spread a hay floor, tie up some hay and Mason jar table favors, and use the bales for seating. Cut your pumpkins off the vine, pull out every farm implement you own to dress up the space, and party with the best of them.
- Talking Door. Cover your garage door with plain, brown paper. Wait for the big Halloween sale, and pick up every motion-censored talking head, witch, ghoul, monster, and goblin you can find. Hang ‘em all—on the door that is. On motion, they will all scream, holler, and cackle at the same time.
- Fortune-Teller Tent. Inside the garage, set up or craft a tent. Insert a round table, a floor-length tablecloth, a chair, an eerie light source, a deck of cards, and a glass ball. Dress up like a fortuneteller or an old witch, with all of the special effects. The trick-or-treaters will have to see you to get their candy.
- Design a Headstone. Wrap your garage door in gray, get some lettering, and RIP!
Make this Halloween a special one. Have a barn dance, light up the cul-de-sac, and have a blast!